Where flexible working works - Jobs for mums

Career Focus - The World of Teaching

Overseas Trained Teacher Programme (OTTP)

If you are qualified as a teacher inside the EU, mobility laws apply and you can access teaching positions in the same way as 'home' trained teachers. If you are qualified as a teacher overseas and outside the EEA, you may be eligible to work in England as a temporary teacher without qualified teacher status (QTS) for up to four years. This programme is currently available in England only.

Once you have found a teaching position in a school, the OTTP will provide you with your own individual training and assessment programme which will ultimately lead to your qualification to teach in England permanently.

How long does the OTTP take?

Any training delivered as part of the OTTP is tailored to the individual. As such, the length of the programme will depend on the extent of additional training you need. However, the longest you can spend on the programme is one year.

If you feel your skills and experience are sufficient to meet all the QTS standards without further training, you may apply for QTS assessment only.

What qualifications do you need?

You must first be qualified as a teacher overseas and working as an unqualified teacher in a school in England.

In addition, if you qualified outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you will need:

  • a qualification equivalent to a UK bachelors degree;
  • a qualification equivalent to GCSE grade C or above in mathematics and English; and if you intend to teach primary or Key Stage 2/3 (ages 7-14) and you were born on or after 1 September 1979 a qualification equivalent to GCSE grade C or above in science.


Visit the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website (www.naric.org.uk) to find out whether your qualifications are of an equivalent level to UK GCSEs, A-levels and an undergraduate degree.

If you qualified as a teacher in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, another country in the EEA or Switzerland, you may be eligible for QTS without further assessment. You will need to contact the General Teaching Council for England (GTCE) (www.gtce.org.uk) to have your qualifications assessed.

Is there any financial support available?

If you need to undertake a programme of additional training the TDA will cover the costs (up to a value of £1,250) as well as for your final assessment against the QTS standards. Your school will continue to pay your salary.


How do you apply?

Once you have a teaching post and you have established that you have all the necessary qualifications, you should apply directly to a designated recommending body (DRB) in your area. They will assess and approve your application, discussing your training needs with you as necessary. If resident in Wales, you may be eligible to join an employment-based route towards QTS. For more information call the Teaching Information Line - 0845 6000 991.

When should you apply?

There are no deadlines for the OTTP although it is up to DRBs to establish start dates for programmes.

For more information about teaching visit - www.tda.gov the Training and Development Agency for Schools

68 visitors online